In June of 1955, the North Wisconsin District of the Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod authorized the purchase of a 4-acre building site for $6000. At that time, the site was a pasture east of town and not yet annexed to the city. This was done in accordance with the practice of the district to purchase land in the area of promising mission development. In August of 1961, Faith Congregation and the district board of directors approved plans for a building and the start of a new mission.
Groundbreaking for the original structure of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church began on September 25, 1961, for $150,000. On August 30, 1962, the Rev. H. P. Hilgendorf was called by the district board to organize a congregation and become the first resident pastor of the new mission. Under Pastor Hilgendorf's direction, the first worship service in the newly built facility was held on Sunday, November 18, 1962, with 150 people in attendance. On Thursday, November 29, 1962, with 35 men and women present, the congregation officially organized and incorporated, chose the name Good Shepherd, and numbered 120 baptized members, and 67 communicants with 36 families.
As the congregation grew rapidly, a building committee was organized in September of 1969 to begin planning for expanded facilities to include a new sanctuary/office and classrooms. The total cost of the new addition was $305,000. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held on April 18, 1971, and the new facilities were dedicated on March 19, 1972.
In an effort to update facilities again, groundbreaking for new offices and a climate controlled meeting room along with additional remodeling was held in April of 1997. Dedication services were held on October 19, 1997.
The congregation has grown from 120 baptized members in 1962 to over 1,740 baptized members today. Today the number of families that call Good Shepherd home numbers over 800, up from 36 in 1962. In 2017 we will celebrate our 55th anniversary.